We will begin reviewing applications Friday, July 6 at 9 AM. Applications received on or before this date will be given priority. The absolute deadline is Monday, July 16 at 9 AM.
- Job Responsibilities
- Candidate Qualifications
- Compensation & Benefits
- Deadline & How to Apply
Sustain Dane is hiring a 1.0 FTE, benefits eligible, Director of Sustainable Business. You can play a critical role in helping Sustain Dane achieve its vision of making the Greater Madison Region a national model for sustainability and sustainability innovation, inclusive of a healthy planet, a just society, and a responsible economy. This is a great opportunity to make a significant difference for the Greater Madison Region’s sustainable future!
Sustain Dane is the sustainability organization of Dane County. We believe change happens when inspired people take action. Sustain Dane partners with sustainability champions who want to transform Dane County into a healthy, thriving place for everyone. We lead programs in businesses and communities to promote sustainability for people and the planet.
The Sustainable Business Initiative makes change happen by inspiring, supporting, and connecting people to take action, both in and outside of their workplaces, for social and environmental change. The specific programs have evolved over the years and will continue to do so with your contribution.
Sustain Dane works with organizations to:
- Embed a culture of sustainability and environmental responsibility in local organizations
- Mitigate harmful environmental impacts and foster widespread employee engagement in social and environmental sustainability
- Managing and building upon existing programs like MPower and the Sustainable Business Network
- Bringing a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens to existing and future programs
- Leading the development, testing, and coordination of new initiatives to support organizations in their sustainability efforts
- Maintaining & improving upon relationships with current program partners, resources, and participants
- Identifying and building relationships with new program partners, resources, and participants
- Maintaining up-to-date understanding of trends in sustainable business and environmental science as it relates to sustainable organizational practices
- Contributing to the financial sustainability of the program(s) through sources like grant funding, corporate sponsorships, and program participation
- Supporting the annual Sustain Dane Summit
- Assisting with other Sustain Dane internal team efforts as needed
Daily activities may include:
Managing ongoing projects; communicating with current and potential participants via e-newsletters, email, social media, phone, or in-person meetings; facilitating workshops; developing and giving public presentations; recruiting program participants through social media, email, and in-person, networking at events; meeting with other Sustain Dane staff regarding programming or internal operations; attending partners’ events; researching ideas and strategies to improve programming; writing grants, including project budgets and program updates; etc.
Education and Experience:
College degree in sustainability, environmental studies, business, change management, social change, or related field; or 3-6+ years of relevant experience that can translate to succeeding in this role
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with sustainability and change management in theory and practice
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities and stakeholders through experience, and/ or relevant education and training
- Outstanding interpersonal relationship skills
- Approaches work through a strong equity lens
- Demonstrated ability to develop new business and organizational partners and stakeholders
- Demonstrated public speaking experience with small and large audiences
- Demonstrated facilitation skills for small groups (less than 50)
- Competent at systems-level thinking
- Ability to manage multiple projects and details
- Ability to work effectively both in teams and independently with staff, interns, community partners, and stakeholders
A strong candidate will:
- Effectively collaborate and work with people across cultural differences
- Embrace Sustain Dane’s organizational values
- Be passionate about the field of holistic sustainability
- Enjoy working in dynamic and collaborative work environment
- Have a strong understanding of training and educational presentation development
- Effectively listen and communicate orally and in writing within a variety of settings, particularly cross-culturally with diverse populations
- Be able to attend Sustain Dane and partner-hosted events outside traditional work hours (flexible scheduling available)
- Approach community partners, program participants, and community members as valuable and equal collaborators
- Have a mindset of innovation and creativity in developing new approaches to working with organizations
- Have an understanding of social media platforms as networking and recruitment tools
This is a benefits eligible (health, dental, and life insurance, generous paid time off, short- and long-term disability coverage, access to retirement plan) 1.0 FTE position. The salary range is $40,000-48,000 per year, depending on experience. The schedule will generally be Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, with some meetings and events outside of normal office hours. Sustain Dane offers flexible scheduling. In addition, you will:
- Receive a Sustain Dane-sponsored bus pass for Madison Metro for use commuting
- Be part of a values- and mission-driven organization working to make Madison a healthier, stronger community
- Have access to Sustain Dane’s many community and business partners and networks
Work is performed in a small, open office environment and off site with partner organizations. The office is located in downtown Madison.APPLICATION INFORMATION
- Cover letter
Please note, Sustain Dane values diverse life experience and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Those who are bilingual, members of racial/ethnic minority groups, members of the LGBTQ community, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. We encourage you to share how your identity/life experiences will strengthen our team.
- Contact information for 3 references
- Support material: Please respond to the following prompt with an additional written submission of 250 words or less, or a video of 90 seconds or less: Sustain Dane works to engage organizations to work toward holistic sustainability, encompassing a healthy planet, a strong community, and a just economy. As part of this role, you may host a public workshop on commercial energy efficiency. What is your approach to making the workshop inclusive and engaging for a diverse audience?
We hope to begin interviewing the week of July 9. The application deadline is July 16. Sustain Dane values diversity as part of a holistic vision of sustainability. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The anticipated start date for this position is between August 20 - September 7.